A total of 3 people were killed in a knife attack in the city of Würzburg in Bavaria, around 120 kilometers (74.5 miles) east of Frankfurt, police said on Friday. A number of others were injured.
Lower Franconia Police announced that they had detained a suspected attacker.
“There is no indication of a second suspect. There is no danger to the population,” the police tweeted.
What we know so far:
– The suspected perpetrator is a 24-year old Somalian man who lives in Würzburg, police said
– The incident took place on Barbarossaplatz, a square in the city center
– Local media reported that a man attacked passers-by
– Police were alerted around 5 p.m. (15:00 UTC), said German public broadcaster Bayerischer Rundfunk
– The attacker was overpowered after the police used firearms
– A motive behind the attack was not clear
– Local media and news agencies reported that three people have been killed